Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rainy day in paradise

Dan is writing this post. Kari has done a great job making updates so far and now I am going to give it a try.


Today we woke up to rain. Mom usually watches the sun rise each morning but this morning there was a light mist. Just thick enough to make it uncomfortable to be in. So Mom reluctantly came back in and she and I got to talk for about an hour before any else woke up. It was a special time for me and even though Mom didn't get to watch the sunrise, I secretly was thankful for the extended amount of 1-on-1 time I got with Mom.



Once we were all ready for the day we were hoping it would clear up, but it didn't. It rained for about 8 hours straight. Once I remembered Dad had a waterproof camera I wanted to test its waterproof abilities. We started simple with just me standing in the rain taking pictures of water.




Then Scott ratcheted it up a notch and decided to take an underwater picture of Koi. It was somewhat lackluster because once we had fully submersed the camera we really didn't have anyway to escalate the testing. Maybe I can drag it behind the paddle board while in movie mode....hmmmmmm.




We spent the morning visiting indoors and in the afternoon we headed to theLaie temple and the Polynesian Cultural Center. It's about 1 1/2 hour drive each way. The scenery is what dreams are made of. Pictures really don't begin to depict the colors and magnitude of these scenes. But thanks for trying Aunt Jane! :)


The temple was newly renovated and it is currently open to the public. It is a beautiful place and I don't think I speak only for myself when I say there was a very tangible spirit letting me (us) know that what happens in the temple walls is the real deal. Famlies really are eternal, and no matter what surgeries, procedures, or medicines Mom takes, I know that I can see her again because of what is done in the temple.




Once we were done at the temple we drove a couple miles over to the PCC. We started the experience off with a fun buffet style dinner with some traditional Hawaiin food. I got my fill of Kalua pork and coconut cake.


After dinner we checked out the little merchants selling souvenirs, and then off to the show. The show is called HA, the breath of life. It was really cool, dancers representing all the islands, Hawaii, fiji, tahiti, samoa, and tonga. Here are some pictures of the show.









It was a blast to see the show. It was a long drive home but it was worth it. Thank you Nancy for getting us such great seats and for helping us have such great memories!







2 comments:

  1. So you got to go inside the Temple!? How fun! It looks like everyone is having a great time! Please send your mom our love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the posts, looks like everyone is having a blast! Where are the Picture of mom with people though...this is a day in the life of HER! Haha Thanks everyone, love it

    ReplyDelete